Decorating a short term rental is easier and cheaper than decorating a private home. Imagine you’re staging a home for sale. The goal is to appeal to the greatest number of people at the best price.
Here are some tips to help you decorate your short term rental property:
1) Select neutral colors for walls and natural woods for furnishings. This ensures that the decor appeals to the greatest number of people.
2) Choose accent pieces to add character. Start with one statement piece such as a painting, colorful piece of furniture, or pottery item. Use this statement piece to select complimenting colors for other items in the room.
3) Use a variety of textures to add extra interest. Decorative fabrics can be used in throw pillows, slipcovers, window coverings, and wall hangings.
4) Maximize your beds to increase rental income. For example, have a futon or pull out couch in the living room. Also, include two full beds in a spare room. These can be pushed together to accommodate two kids or a couple. Get the biggest mattress you can for the master bedroom.
5) Leave plenty of hallway space from the front door to the room(s) so that baggage doesn’t bang against walls and furniture.
6) Place a doormat by exterior doors to save your floors and carpet.
7) Hang mirrors in strategic spots to add light and make your place appear more spacious.
Following these tips will help you create a well dressed home that is easily marketable and ensures your property will stand out!
To learn more about Louisville real estate and short term rentals, listen to Jonathan Klunk's interview on ESPN here!